Friday, March 04, 2005

Educashun on the Buss

Hi All!

Thursdays and Sundays are my favorite days these days on account of those are the days I can wander away from home for treatment and religious worship and AA. Oops that was redundant :-)

Best part of going free is indulging in my newfound joy in public transportation. Cheap to get around and plenty of free entertainment.

I like to sit in the back of the bus just to irk the brothers who are pretty possesive about that area. Ironic that after the long struggle for Civil Rights, blacks still sit in the back of the bus.

Yesterday on the 50 (University Avenue Limited Stop) there was a middle-aged American Indian sitting next to a young black women who looked to be a UofM student with a backpack filled with books. The morning runs of the 50 are popular with UofM students so I feel pretty confident that I am making the right assumption.

The older guy is filling out some sort of application and asks the young lady how to spell "partial." She generously offered "P-A-R-S-H-A-L." I usually keep to myself, but I couldn't let that stand.

"Excuse me, but I believe it is spelled "P-A-R-T-I-A-L" The gentleman thanked me, noting that it had been a long time since he went to school, but that sounded about right.

The reaction of the young lady to my correction was an incredulous look and "Where'd you get THAT?!" I think I mumbled something about seeing it in a dictionary once. Guess she must be in the General College.

As humorous as it was, the sad part is that we are becoming a semi-literate nation. When I related the story to my counselor, she said that I would be depressed with the stuff people write down on their intake forms.

I guess it must be right that we aren't throwing enough money at our fine Education Establishment.

I've always had a desire to teach, but I don't want to go back to school. Wouldn't it be great if a person could qualify for a public teaching position based on life experience and aceing a test? Alas, even the private schools require degrees. Think of all the bored, intelligent retirees or people like me who could offer so much yet are not welcome to The System.

I could have explained how to remember the spelling of "partial" by understanding what it means. I actually believe that the young woman had no clue. I should have told her.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home