Friday, August 12, 2005

Goofing Off At Work

Hi All!

I screwed up my courage and ventured forth to deepest Minneapolis in order to see if I am really the Trivia Pro that I think I am.

Keegan's Pub has a 25 question, write down your answer and you will be graded Oral Quiz.

I found the place OK but was soon reminded of one of the reasons I don't like Minneapolis. The scarce street parking is metered until 10:00pm! And they DO ticket, as I observed my parking neighbors with the flashing red expiration light on their meter and a nice, official slip of paper under the wiper blade.

I know that local bloggers are known to attend this weekly event, but my first walk through of the place produced no familiar faces, except for a guy I mistook for King Banyan as I breezily asked, "Where IS everybody?" "Huh?" I soon realized that short of the beard and glasses, this guy was much taller and fatter and uglier than the King.

So I got a cranberry juice and a test sheet and pencil and set out solo (most players form teams) to see what this type of trivia is all about.

The main topic was North Dakota. I just about broke my pencil in half when I heard that, but gave it a game shot. After 13 questions, there is an intermission so I walked around again and chanced upon a few familiar faces, one of which belonged to my blogging mentor, Mitch, who is not only incredible at trivia, but who hales from North Dakota!

I knew the game was up, so I tore up my pathetic answer sheet and watched the pros.

It only took about 10 minutes to get to Keegans from my house. It took an hour to get back.

Took a wrong turn on Broadway and ended up in Robbinsdale. I don't recall ever having visited Robbinsdale before. Fascinating trip, though. Found a couple of new White Castle locations. What a City!

Left a window partway open and some stupid kids broke into the car. Lost a cell phone, but the idiots couldn't get the stereo out, although they did their best to ruin it. Little did they know that it was just laying there in it's opening, as I don't have the hardware to mount it properly. Could have pulled it right out, whole. Feel violated, though.

Saw the Transplant Team and had interviews and blood tests. Scheduled an ecg and a colonoscopy for next month.

Without having the blood results, Dr. Lake observed that I am looking well, tanned but not jaundiced at all, good vitals and nothing too alarming felt in the abdomen.

Mom is vacationing this week before school starts, so it's just me, the kids and dogs. What is a responsible parent to do?

Hmmm. I am about to take #2 and two of his buddies to the Curtiss A. Rolling Stones Tribute in Uptown (see...I'm not so scared of mean old Minneapolis).

Gotta go.

Cheers!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

News Corp to buy Blinkx
News Corp is in negotiations to buy the TV and video search company Blinkx , and not Technorati.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a tapety site/blog. It pretty much covers tapety related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Paul!

You said that your stereo was " ... laying there in it's opening ..."

Two errors in one sentence! A summa cum laude, with an almost double major in journalism, should know the difference between "laying" and "lying" and "it's" (contraction) and "its" (possessive).

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home