Thursday, December 07, 2006

Eff This and Eff That...Johnny Rotten


Hi All!

I have officially retired that quote from the Wogsblog banner -- it's a bit too crude, even for me, but it meant/means very much to me and here is why.

The first two record albums I ever bought were "Bridge over Troubled Waters" by Simon and Garfunkel and "Abbey Road" by the Beatles. Before that I was hooked on Peter Paul and Mary, The Mamas and the Papas and Roger Miller, 'cos that was the stuff we had in the house.

As soon as I could ride a bike bravely, I began to hit the West Bank and spend hours flipping through and buying used LPs at places that reeked of incense and whatever (I believe that the last living brain cells in a human being is "smell memory."

Oarfolkjoeopus, The Electric Fetus, Cheapo, all of which still exist, I think, and a few that are long gone that were on Grand Ave. in St. Paul and 7 Corners on the West Bank.

Once I flipped upon the nude John and Yoko album sleeve and instead of making a $2 investment in something worth thousands today, I was afraid that the clerk wouldn't sell it to a kid. What a chickenshit I was.

When I heard a single, "Lola" by the Kinks, I had a new favorite band and I love them to this day and have most of Ray and Dave Davies' work and tons of memorabilia. 42 years of excellent music and they are still putting fantastic stuff out.

When I first heard "Exile on Main Street" by the Rolling Stones, the thing the Kinks started in me went straight into the animal part of my brain.

Then came Bowie. Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.

When I first heard "Nevermind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols" I forgot about everything else for awhile.

I was in London when "God Save the Queen" was banned by the BBC yet you could hear it everywhere on the street, especially in Hyde Park and Picadilly Square, Chelsea, in the Tube -- and, of course, Carnaby Square where I bought some punk items and thank God never used them to pierce my skin. -- you get the idea of how defiant, insidious, mean-spirited and absolutely brilliant this song was as it drew special attention to the Queen's 25th Anniversary of Coronation.''

The quote I am retiring is from "Bollocks" from an "in your face" anti-abortion song, "Bodies."

"She was a girl from Birmingham, she just had an a BOR SHUN!" Click it if you want to read the rest, but make sure you are sitting down and prepare to be sick.

Crude, simple and dead-on.

As I age and wizen, fire of that sort still burns in my heart. When I crank up new and old raving tunes with the incredible advances in DVD and CD technology the endorphins go off the charts.

When they dissect my brain, perhaps Science will find that I lived longer (or shorter) by being stimulated by loud, but lyrical and lucid and well-written music.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home