Wednesday, January 24, 2007

One Thing Leads to Another in the Age of Google

Hi All!

If I could go back to childhood--heck, young adulthood--I would never have thunk a lot of things. For instance, I never would have thunk that I'd be sitting next to the furnace in my cozy little "My Space" in my house, listening to Tom Barnard and the KQ Morning Crew on a computer, reading the news on the screen and googling.

Today a study from Padua, Italy was mentioned and Tommy B remarked that Padua was a big Catholic religious deal -- Our Lady of?... no -- but he KNEW he had heard of it from his religious upbringing.

In the old days, the radio guys would have been flooded with correcting phone calls. Nowadays, one, say, me, simply opens a new tab in Firefox and google "Padua." It's getting so that one may as well go straight to Wikipedia because that is where Google usually leads.

In the Wiki article what Tom Barnard had in the back of his head was just what I had. St. Anthony, of course! From Wiki to a Catholic Saints website to bone up on my St. Tony, I happened upon a quote of his to the effect of "Actions speak louder than words."

Hmmm. Cut and paste that old bromide back into Google and learn that the phrase is not credited to the Saint--well, THAT Saint--but St. Francis of Assisi (as in Tarkenton and Wog's middle name) is on record for having said an early version of this truism.

So, back to the blog and delete the Led Zep quote and insert St. Francis:

"Preach the Gospel at all times. Use words if necessary."

And people wonder how we goofball bloggers get story ideas!

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home