Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Thing That Just Won't Die

Hi All!

At the risk of setting myself up for a fall, I can report that my appointment with the transplant doctor yesterday went very well...

Very well as in "little or no change."

I am still not sick enough to go on "The List" which is not necessarily a good thing. It is indeed ironic that you have to be at death's door to get a liver, while relatively (and I mean relatively) healthy candidates with better chances for a good outcome have to wait.

But that's the way it is. Supply is overwhelmed by demand so only the most critical cases have a shot at receiving a new lease on life.

I was told at least 4 years ago that I had mere months to live.

Since then, I have repeatedly been told the same thing.

I have shared this news with friends, family and others to the point that I am now sounding like the boy who cried wolf! Somehow the remaining bit of unscarred tissue is holding up beyond expectations.

For this I am obviously most grateful. My quality of life sucks but at least I am alive and in many small ways have accomplished things to help our household keep bumping along.

As with an old fan belt, that last bit of healthy tissue could go at any time. Meanwhile, barring that, I don't have to go back to the doctor until November.

Cheers!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear you're not dead Wog!

heh. Hang in there buddy.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home