Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Planned a Party and Nobody Came

Hi All!

Have thought too long and freaking hard about how to write this post so I am gonna wing it extemporaneously.

Nobody in the World wanted to get back into a political campaign as much as me.

Nobody else wanted me to get back into a political campaign.

No one even gave me an opinion.

Carefully planned, groundbreaking paradigm. It could have worked and it will when someone eventually does it. Campaigns are moving in that direction anyway, but this would have leapt out in front.

Put out cautious, laser-targeted feelers and was quite disappointed -- hell, devastated is a better word -- at the lack of response from the people I had consciously chosen to feel out and whom I thought might be of help with their connections.

For all the discouragement and the huge Heart v. Head imbalance, I found myself driving south on 35E at 3:00 toward the Ramsey Courthouse, intent on filing. After all, I still had 48 hours to chicken out and perhaps I'd raise an eyebrow or two. What's to lose?

Lots.

I pulled off at Maryland and headed north to Bentley's for a chat up with my disgruntled postal worker mates and beat them at Buzztime Trivia.

Hence to the Legion for the horseshoe tossing, conviviality with the a bunch of nice older people and pleasure of having Laura and my friend Tom join me for a nice end to an awesome day to be outside. Made me forget all about the tsunami in my head. Just for awhile. Come today and the storm rages on. .. and FEMA ain't gonna help.

Am I relieved? Hell no. My political ambition is a dream that won't die until I do. At the considerable risk of sounding like I'm sounding, representative government needs me.

Alas, as the fog clears and the die that has been cast must wait for curing, I turn to health and financial concerns.

No small order.

Cheers!

4 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

I think those close to you probably didn't have the heart to tell you what I will, because I only know you from occasionally reading here over the past two years-- it would be selfish for you to run for office. You have put your family through too much in the past few years, and they deserve your 100% commitment taking care of your health (including staying off the sauce) and perhaps trying to earn some money to help the family finances.

It's a harsh reality, perhaps, but your political days are over. Maybe in 10 years, if you have your transplant and have a nice retirement nestegg stored up, you can pursue a flight of fancy like you desire. But I think you're even nuts to consider it now.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

P.S. Nietzsche's "Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich staerker" correctly translates as "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger" or perhaps "That which does not kill me makes me stronger."

I realize it is out there on the web some places with the word "destroy," but the separable verb "umbringen" does not mean "destroy," it is only "kill" or "slay." German has a different cool verb for destroy-- "zerstoeren"

1:14 AM  
Blogger George Nielsen said...

I can understand your disappointment at having started a party and nobody joined. As you know I have put up a blog and nobody seems to have seen it. Nowadays it cannot even be seen in search engines. Perhaps I should keep modifying it to make it visible, as you suggested.

Anyway, how about making it a one-man party? What does it take to start up a party?

7:12 AM  
Blogger Chad said...

Paul-

I seem to recall advising you not to run if you couldn't win. I think you made the right choice.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home