Monday, August 21, 2006

The Incredible Ironies of Life

Hi All!

This one is about #2685.

Last spring, on the recommendation of a trusted tradesman, I had an outfit come over and unclog the shower and sink drains. The guy spent about 10 minutes augering out the clogs and 30 minutes bs'n with me.

The sink still didn't drain too well, but I was told that there must be an "air lock" in the sewer vent and that sort of problem was not the sort that his outfit dealt with.

So for the clogs he raked me over the coals for $179.

That stuck in my craw all summer as the drains got back to draining slower and slower until the sink drain ceased to. Drain.

Long story short, after plunging and even using a wet-dry vac to try to clear the drain (resulting in water all over me and the bathroom as the buildup blew out of the overfill slot in the sink, I went to Menards and got a bottle of lye. Clog all gone. $5.89, including tax.

Determined that I would call the drain opening scam artist on Monday to give them a piece of my mind, but a nice Sunday had me all calmed down.

This morning Laura called from her car reporting that she had been hit.

Some jerkwad pulled out of a parking space without looking and clipped the front left fender area pretty good. Easily over $1K of damage, but at least the old Buick is drivable.

(An aside...as a car buff who is mortified at having a 2000 Buick Century old person car in the driveway, I wish the darned thing was totaled. But it was a gift to Laura from a benevolent relative and its land-yacht feel suits her. On the rare occasion that I need it, I must have a care when hitting a clover leaf exit ramp. Where my Scorpio can take them at 40-45mph on rails, the Buick yaws and the tires complain at half that speed. What a piece of .....)

Sooooo, Laura dutifully left the car as was, blocking the jerk in, lest he make a break for it. Called the cops yada yada.

When she got home I used the awesome power of the internet to look up the owner of the offending car.

Next thing I remember was falling out of my chair and lying on the floor in the fetal position laughing hysterically.

The car was a company car. The company is Midway Sewer and Drain.

To quote the great modern poet, philosopher and former teenage entertainment phenom Allanis, "Isn't it ironic? Don't ya think?"

Cheers!

2 Comments:

Blogger Alcuin Bramerton said...

This is not positive thinking, PK. You do not sound like a caring person. Did you vote for Bush?

11:48 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

How ironic can ya get?! It's as if they're out to get you. But I've gotta admit, I'd have been rolling on the floor in laughter, too.

On the other hand, some people would call it a draining experience... :)

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home